Vegetarian Italian Wedding Soup
A vegetarian twist on a classic soup. I have made this for many of my meat eating friends and they love it! If you are looking for a meat alternative you can always add meatballs. Add them into the soup sooner so they have enough time to warm through.
- olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup celery
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 1 Tbs basil
- 1 Tbs parsley
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup ditalini pasta (or other small pasta)
- 1 pkg. vegan meatballs (You can find these is the organic produce section or frozen section)
- 1 5 oz. pkg. spinach
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Stir in celery and carrots and cook 5 minutes more or until onion is softened.
- Add spices. Cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce to medium heat. Add pasta and cook at a low boil for 5 minutes (or half the stated directions on the package)
- Add meatballs. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add remaining garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook 3-5 minutes turning constantly so spinach becomes evenly coated and wilted, but still bright in color.
Add spinach and lemon juice to soup. Season with salt and pepper.
Published: Monday, May 23rd, 2011 by Kelly