Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (10 oz) diced tomatoes and jalapenos
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (10 oz) Enchilada sauce
- 2 whole chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and chicken broth mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining milk until smooth, set aside.
- In a slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper.
- Layer chicken on top.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the top.
- Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
**optional for garnish: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, or tortilla chips**
Published: Sunday, February 26th, 2012 by Kelly