Submitted by: Kristy
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped, white and green parts
- 2 Tbsp fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 cake pan.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't over mix!
- Mix in grated cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top. Top can be sprinkled with scallions and extra cheese if desired.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Published: Sunday, December 11th, 2011 by Kelly