Cream of Asparagus Soup
I love the comfort of creamy soups in the winter. This one is a quick and easy vegetarian version.
- 1 1/2 lbs. asparagus
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. potatoes, diced
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes and 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Reserve 8 spears of asparagus for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cut-up asparagus and 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add bouillon and 1 tsp salt. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup and drizzle with fresh lemon juice and black pepper just before serving.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a saucepan. Cook remaining 8 spears of asparagus until tender. Use as a garnish.
Published: Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 by Kelly