A frittata is another way to cook eggs besides just your ordinary omelet. You start the eggs on the stove top but they finish cooking in the oven.
Feel free to experiment with your veggies. This would be good with potatoes, peppers, onions, squash or many others. Go to a local farmers market and see what is in season.
- 5 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere
- Preheat oven to 325
- Beat together eggs and egg whites until frothy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil and butter in oven safe non-stick skillet.
- Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom and zucchini and cook until tender. about 5 minutes
- Lower heat and add tomato and basil. Make sure that veggies are evenly distributed in pan.
- Pour in eggs. Let eggs set about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven about 20-25 minutes until frittata has puffed and is light brown in color
Published: Sunday, July 3rd, 2011 by Kelly