Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- 6 or 7 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cut tomatoes in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- While the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the baguette on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. Toast for 5-6 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
- Arrange the bread on a serving platter, olive oil side up. Just before serving spoon some of the tomato topping on each slice of bread.
Published: Thursday, August 11th, 2011 by Kelly