- 50 pieces light brown caramels
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pkg chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 6 oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
- In a double boiler over hot but not boiling water, melt Caramels in 1/3 cup condensed milk stirring to blend, set aside mixture but keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, butter, nuts, and remaining condensed milk, stir thoroughly until mixture is well combined and crumbly.
- Press half of the dough evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over asked dough and spread melted caramel mixture on top, working quickly to spread evenly.
- Crumble remaining half of the dough over the caramel and press in lightly with a spoon.
- Return to oven and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until top is set and mixture pulls away from the side of the pan.
- Cool on rack for 30 minutes, then refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into small squares.
Published: Friday, February 24th, 2012 by Kelly