Submitted by: Kristy
Saltine toffee is a delicious easy way to make the old fashioned treat. Another twist is to add a cup of chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts.
- 1 cup butter
- 35 saltine crackers
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Line large baking sheet with waxed paper. Brush paper with a small amount of butter.
- Line crackers on buttered parchment, touching with no overlap.
- Whisk brown sugar into remaining butter. Set over medium heat. Bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture evenly over crackers.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven cover with chocolate chips. Once melted (about 5 minutes) spread chocolate evenly over surface. If using nuts, gently press into melted chocolate.
- Chill until firm, about 30 minutes
- Lift paper and place on cutting surface. Cut into small bite size pieces.
Published: Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 by Kelly