Red Wine Beef Stew
Submitted by: Aaron
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 bottle hearty red wine
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- On a plate stir together 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Turn the beef pieces in the seasoned flour shaking off any excess.
- In a larger Dutch-oven over medium heat melt butter with the oil. Cook the beef until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, and peppercorns to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onions and carrots begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in red wine to deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping up the brown bits.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the remaining flour and the tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened, about 1 minute.
- Return the beef to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover the Duth-oven and place in preheated oven. Stir occasionally and cook for 2 hours.
** This stew can also be made in a slow cooker. After ingredients have been prepared, put them in a slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 608 hours.**
Published: Sunday, January 1st, 2012 by Kelly