Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole
Submitted by: Mary T.
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 8 oz. can tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp crushed thyme
- 1 large cabbage, coarsely shredded
- Cook rice using package directions but cook for only 5 minutes.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Cook onion in 1 Tbsp bacon fat until tender.
- Crumble ground chuck into cooked onions, cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, rice, and half of the pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Pour tomatoes into sauce pan including juice, breaking them into smaller pieces.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, thyme and remaining salt and pepper and heat to boiling.
- In 3-quart baking dish, arrange 1/3 shredded cabbage, half of the meat mixture and half of the sauce. Repeat. Layer with cabbage as the final layer.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour until cabbage is tender.
Published: Monday, August 15th, 2011 by Kelly