Submitted by: Aunt Maureen
Jerk Chicken is perfect for grilling out on nice warm summer days. It is also good on a George Foreman grill when you need to pretend it's summer.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile chopped (remove the seeds if you want less spice)
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps ground allspice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of coarse salt
- 8 pieces bone in chicken skinned
- Make marinade: In a blender, combine scallions, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, salt and 2 tablespoons of water; blend until smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup for brushing.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish; season all over with salt. Pour the remaining marinade over chicken; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate, turning over once or twice, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Heat grill to medium-high; oil the grates. Lift chicken from the marinade, letting excess drip off, place on the grill and cover. Cook turning occasionally, until chicken is blackened in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Move the chicken to a cooler part of the grill; brush with the reserved marinade. Grill, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 min more. Serve
Published: Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 by Kelly