This is a great dish to experiment with! When it calls for 1 1/2 cups dried fruit get creative. Some ideas include cherries, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, pineapple, coconut, chocolate chips and peanut butter. This is also a good time to add some healthy extras such as flax or chia seeds.
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ on a cookie sheet. Place in oven to toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When removed change temperature to 350.
- In small saucepan combine honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Cook over medium heat until completely dissolved.
- Immediately combine oat mixture and honey mixture along with any other mix-ins.
- Place in greased 8x8 baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Wait to cut until granola has completely cooled.
Published: Monday, December 5th, 2011 by Kelly