Creamy Vegetable Fettuccine
Submitted by: Aunt Maureen
- 12 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups brussel sprouts, sliced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup of finely shredded asiago cheese (plus a little more for garnish)
- Cook pasta until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add mushrooms and brussel sprouts and cook stirring often about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add vinegar scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the liquid is almost evaporated (should only take 10-15 seconds).
- Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in asiago cheese until melted.
- Add the sauce to the pasta; gently toss. Serve with more cheese if desired.
Published: Monday, August 22nd, 2011 by Kelly