Black Bean Soup
Submitted by: Kristy
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- Cook bacon in the bottom of a medium stockpot.
- When bacon has cooked, add vegetable oil and onions and cook until onions are soft.
- Remove bacon. It is no longer needed for this recipe.
- Add cumin, chicken stock and black beans. Bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to puree soup mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ham cubes.
- Simmer for an additional 40 minutes or until soup thickens.
Published: Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 by Kelly